As the number of motor vehicles on US roads continues to increase, the safety of road users and pedestrians has become more and more of an impending matter. Luckily, there are plenty of strategies that you can leverage to improve the safety and viability of your neighbor, town, or city.
Professional Paving Contractors Can Help With the Planning and Implementation of Speed Bumps
If you are unsure how to get started, working with one of the top paving companies such as Ajax Paving can help you choose and install a custom-made system of speed bumps and humps. Find everything you need to get started in this guide.
What Are Speed Bumps and Humps?
According to statistics by NSC Injury Facts, speeding played a role in nearly 30% of all traffic fatalities in 2020 and directly caused over 10,136 fatal motor vehicle crashes in the same year. While new safety measures have increased road safety, the journey towards achieving the goals set on the Vision Zero program is still long. Nonetheless, there is a lot that can be done by individual citizens and businesses to make roads and streets safer for everyone—starting with road bumps and humps.
Speed bumps, alongside similar components such as parking curbs, humps, speed tables, and speed cushions, are traffic management measures that help drivers reduce their speed in high-risk areas, avoid accidents, and streamline the traffic flow. Working with experienced paving contractors such as the team at Ajax Paving can help you find the right solution for your needs.
How Are Speed Bumps and Humps Used?
Speed bumps and other traffic calming measures can be installed in residential and commercial areas to protect both drivers and pedestrians. Although a lot will depend on the unique needs and features of your property, speed bumps are usually installed in locations such as:
- Parking lots
- Residential neighborhoods
- Pedestrian areas
- Low-speed limit zones
- Before a corner or dangerous intersection
- Before or after crossing points
If you have a commercial property with a parking lot, you should work with a specialist, like Ajax Paving, to design the traffic flow and choose where it makes sense to install speed bumps.
The Benefits of Speed Bumps and Humps
There are nearly no downsides to installing speed bumps in areas with a low-speed limit or around a residential location. Road upgrades and paving jobs such as speed bump installation can lead to many benefits, including:
- Reduce accidents and fatalities
- Safer crossing for pedestrians and other road users
- Prompting drivers to reduce speed in high-risk areas
- Managing traffic
- Improving vehicle flow within and around a parking area
- Increased safety for cyclists
What You Need To Know Before Installing Speed Bumps and Humps
Although speed bumps can certainly improve the safety of your local roads, there are a few factors to keep in mind before going ahead with the installation process. Below you’ll find a quick-start guide—but don’t forget that the guidance of an experienced paving contractor is invaluable!
Here’s what to consider:
- Review your local laws and choose the construction material, color and style wisely
- Understand local regulations regarding speed bump dimensions
- Factor in the cost of transporting and installing the speed bumps
- Only install them in areas with low-speed limits
- In areas where the speed limit is above 20mph, you should also consider installing street lights and signage
- If a private road is shared among multiple residents or owners, make sure to obtain the necessary consensus before going ahead with your project
Ajax Paving: Your Trusted Professional for Any Paving Needs
At Ajax Paving, we have over 42 years of experience in building, maintaining, improving, and upgrading roads in Florida and beyond. Whatever your project’s needs might be, we can help you turn your vision into reality. Ready to get started? Contact us today to book your initial appointment.